Every year the Rose Parade in Pasadena, California puts on the best show. Entitled the Tournament of Roses, this amazing parade is all about flowers and in particular about roses. We always wanted to go to the Rose Parade, but with two small children coming out in the very early hours of the morning just to get a somewhat decent seat, is out of the question. So, we opted to come see the floats in what is called the Post Parade event where you come admire the floats that have been parked on a couple of wide streets. Is it really worth it? Well, read on to find out.
What to do in order to enjoy the Post Parade event
- See more pictures from the 2010 Post Rose Parade event.
- The tickets are $7 for anyone over 5 years old. If you park at one of the Park and Ride places, then you’ll pay an extra $3 for the round trip shuttle ride
- Try coming as early in the morning as you can. The first two hours (7 am to 9am) are for the elderly and those with disabilities. Then everyone else can come from 9am to 5pm. There are indeed lots and lots of people coming, so the earlier you come the better off you will be. We came late at around 11 am and we regretted it.
- Take plenty of water with you. Today was a very warm day, especially for January 2nd. Good thing we took plenty of water with us. Yes, it’s true that you find water there, but it’s about $2.50 for a small bottle of water ! If you want to save some money bring your own water.
- Be prepared to walk about 2 hours. This says it all, so bring some comfortable shoes and be ready to walk.
- Bring something to cover your head, especially if it looks like it will be sunny. The sun was burning today and we felt it.
Make sure you enjoy the flowers
Even though it may be hot, make sure you enjoy the floats. The flower arrangements at the 2010 edition of the Rose Parade are simply stunning. The level of detail shown in each float shows perfection in every simply part of each float. Take your time and enjoy the view.
Enjoy the aromas as well
With so many flowers everywhere, the air is filled with beautiful aromas. Yes there are different aromas as well coming from the hot dog stands, but for the most part, the aroma from the flowers clearly dominate. So, take a deep breath once in a while.