Whenever people talk about Sequoia National Park they mention the Sequoia trees that made the park famous. But Sequoia National Park is home to many other natural attractions. Yes it’s true that the big trees are the main attraction and they will produce awe in everyone looking at them, but when you combine these amazing trees with the spectacular views and incredible hiking trails you get…an amazingly spectacular and incredible place ! That’s Sequoia National Park.
My favorite tourist attractions in Sequoia National Park
- See more pictures from Sequoia National Park
- Visit the Sequoia National Park visitor center. Great place to learn about the Sequoia trees’ habitat and history. In front of the facility you will see one of the larger trees and you will also see it’s contour drawn up with chalk on the ground. This particular tree weighs around 700 tons…as much as a jumbo jet Boeing 777.
- Hike the High Sierra Trail. It’s true that you can make it a day trip, but to truly enjoy this trail you would need a couple of nights camping and backpacking. If you do that and you loop back a different way you will walk right through the heart of the Sequoia forest which you don’t normally see if you just drive up to the park.
Yep, the trees are the real stars in Sequoia National Park
Yes, it’s true ! The Sequoia trees are huge! They’re not the tallest (the Redwood tress are taller) but they are the most massive…they weigh the most. They are also the widest trees and surprisingly they have very shallow roots. That’s why you will see lots of uprooted Sequoia trees.
Eight people can only circle close to half of one of the giant Sequoia trees in Sequoia National Park, California.
See more pictures
The Sequoia trees are really amazing trees
Sequoia trees are also well insulated agains fire. Their bark contains lots of air pockets and it doesn’t burn very easily. This is the main reason why the Sequoia trees are still standing after a forest fire.
A Sequoia tree that has survived a real fire in Sequoia National Park, California.
See more pictures
How to get to Sequoia National Park
Just like getting to Yosemite National Park, you can easily find directions to Sequoia National Park. The National Park Services (NPS) maintains websites on all parks including Sequoia National Park (see resources at the end). I love driving to Sequoia and Yosemite…once you get in the mountain areas the drive is just spectacular. Try not to hurry too much, just enjoy the drive and the vistas.
Map of Sequoia National Park and surrounding area.
View Larger Map
A tourist’s conclusion about visiting Sequoia National Park, California
It is a spectacular place for everyone! This place has something for everyone…for the avid backpacker and for a family with small children…there are lots of fun things to do.
Resources for planning your trip to Sequoia National Park
- Get best hotel rates for Sequoia National Park.
- National Park Services website for Sequoia National Park.
Resources for planning your California tripNeed a hotel? I get the best prices and hotel selection anytime I need to travel. Find budget hotels in California
Need a rental car? Save up to 30% buy comparing all the major rental companies and picking the best deal for you. Get best car rental deals for California
Looking for a bus? Save the driving and lots of money by using an intercity bus in California. Intercity bus travel - Search Now
Need a local tour? Find local tours and skip-the-line tickets to best California attractions. Get best local tours & museum tickets